Friday, June 27, 2008

Day 4 - June 26th - Odessa to Spokane









Up around 5. I guess that this hour will be my standard rising time. I've found that it's beneficial to spend a few minutes doing some yoga-type stretches before leaving the tent. Perhaps it's been coincidental, but my aches and twinges have been minimal so far. It could be because of the yoga poses, or the fistful of supplements that my friend Molly (a naturopath in Seattle) recommended, or maybe I've just been lucky.

Trips to the bathroom (a new location every day!), repacking my clothing bag, packing up my tent and getting bike bags ready is my pre-breakfast routine. Whatever will I do when I return to the work-a-day world?

Daniel cautioned us during breakfast to slow down and enjoy the ride, to not press on in the manner of race horses. It was hard to follow his advice this morning as there was a generous tailwind in our midst. I did some thoughtful miles on my own, listened to the birds, and enjoyed the cool morning air and desert scents. Met up with Tony and Chuck by chance in Harrington. Very quiet town at the early hour of 8am or so. We did meet a couple of local residents who were sitting outside the Masonic Lodge, having a smoke break. When they learned that we were participating in a ride for the Lung Association, promoting clean air (and smoking cessation) we had a good laugh. They allowed us to use their bathroom, and we left them to their task of preparing lunch for local seniors.
The winds took us quickly in to Davenport. Within the first few blocks of Main Street, we spied a B&B cafe - "open to the public". The three of us settled ourselves at a table on the front porch and ordered up the house special of Strawberry pancakes. The view allowed us to watch local traffic and to shout out to other Riders. Many of them followed our lead and found seats on the porch. How nice it is to feel that we can do our part of help local economies and fuels our "tanks" at the same time.

The miles from Spokane were broken up by a shady rest stop in Reardan, and a brief detour off of Hwy 2 due to a mobile home fire. By the time we were re-routed onto the highway, we could look to our left to see the smouldering shell of the home. A fast blaze for sure.

I persuaded Chuck and Tony to make a stop on the way into Spokane at the Airway Heights Espresso stand. It is one that the RedSpoke riders frequent every year. It would have been hard for me to ride past and not order a drink. If any members of the RedSpoke family are reading this, know that I have given the stand fair warning of your arrival on a sunny Sunday, mid-July.

Followed the routing into town and located our designated dorm on the Gonzaga campus. Whew. What a good feeling to bring my bike to a shady space, toss my bags on the floor and gaze at 4 walls and a roof. No wrestling with tent poles and stakes tonight! A shower and chance to do laundry made for a satisfying evening. Doesn't take much when you've winnowed your world down to 2 wheels and a couple of duffle bags. Looking forward to a good night's sleep and seeing when I wake up in the absence of zipper alarms.

7 comments:

T Field said...

Say a big hello to Chuck. Wish I were there with him

His older brother,
Tom

Jenn said...

Wow. Sounds like you are already having a fabulous time! We've been thinking about you! JenP and I were happy you are having such great weather. Though the next few days might be a tad steamy. Oh, and say, I think your friend Molly is also a friend of mine! Small world...well, keep on keepin' on and enjoy every minute!
JennD
PS - love the daily posts!

Sean said...

This is Jenn's husband Sean. I'm enjoying reading daily about your ride. I miss the P,B &J's, zipper alarms, and of course being out on a Big Ride. Have a great day off in Spokane!

Hal said...

Hi Liz, I'm reading your blog for the 1st time and love your descriptive writing. I can relate to every word. Sharkey and I are spending a couple days in Whitefish, where my wife has joined us for a visit. We hit the road again tomorrow morning. It sounds like you're in the zone and have met some good Riders. Keep the wind at your back! --Hal

eltiburon said...

Hi Liz,
Sounds like your having a good time. Keep those P&Js handy, they'll definitely give you a boost when you need it the most.
Stay upright and have fun!

- Sharkey

Unknown said...

Hey Liz! I'm impressed that you have the time and energy to write such descriptive pieces. Thanks for keeping us in the loop. I'm very impressed - and looking forward to seeing you when you get to the midwest. Much love, Sandy

juliewade said...

Hi Liz....we are thinking about you here at the SSC...I checked your map / itinerary to see where you are. I imagine it is kind of hot out yonder. No big news to report except that it actually seems like summer. Keep us posted.