Sunday, June 8, 2008

Taking the rain out of Training

Preparing for this ride has been a multi-dimensional experience. There's the time spent riding of course. Not at a race-pace. But lots of hours in the saddle. This year in the northwest, that has meant lots of time under cloudy or leaky skies. While the weather has been a key factor in training, and will be significant element of the event, there were things to do indoors as well.



Taking my bike to the shop (as I'm not much of a mechanic), reviewing the ALA packing list, consulting with other excursion cyclist friends for THEIR packing lists, fundraising, taking my bike to the shop, trying out various power foods and drinks, talking to co-workers about what I am preparing for (don't bother trying to explain the itch to cross this country, pedaling every mile), giving up on power foods and eating real food, considering unexpected events and how to ride through a new reality, wondering how I will blend in with the other Big Riders, looking at the list of email addresses of the other Riders and wondering who will become a close friend, exploring camping equipment stores and trying to limit my purchase of 'luxury" items (do I really need a collapsable mini card table?), putting off learning how to operate features on my cell phone (other than open, dial, close), putting my vegetable garden into a dormancy stage by covering it with straw (thanks to David), working with co-workers on my team to shift my assignments or put them on hold, explaining that no, I will not be riding home but get to fly instead, pondering my place in the 2008 Big Ride.

7 comments:

Ane Klomps said...

Hi Liz!
My name is Ane Klomps. I did the ride last year. I am just writing to wish you a hearty and heart felt GOOD LUCK!! Technically, I have finished the big ride, but it is still fully alive and present in me every day. It was the most profound and humbling and awesome thing i've ever done. I hope that it meets and exceeds your expectations.
Have fun and may the tailwinds be with you!!!!!
ane

AnnBinSeattle said...

Liz,

I'm so excited for you and in awe of the effort and dedicated it took to get to the starting line. Now the next phase of work begins! I hope and expect it will be a BLAST! Kristin A. and I were imaging where you might be around noon today. I had you at the top of Snoqualmie Pass, getting ready to head down the mountain to night #1 (Kristin thought night 1 might be Spokane but I let her know that I didn't think you were going quite THAT fast). I look forward to keeping up on your progress. I hope you have amazing experiences along the way and ... no flats, no falls.

Ann B.

Javagal said...

Hi Liz! Just wanted to check in before I leave for Costa Rica on Friday. I'm so proud of you! You're an inspiration! Jen P and I did the Woodenville ride on Sunday and helped a guy w/his flat tire! Good practice and we need more of it! I also forgot about the Glassy Baby Sale Saturday:( I was sad! I'll touch base w/you after I come back but keep peddling girl! No Flats, No Falls!

bf said...

Hi Liz,
hope the ride is going well. We miss you! Paula mentioned you at the staff meeting. Oh, by the way, where's the Penske file (just kidding).
Hope you're having a great time.
Best, Jen, Beth, Annhara and Anna

Fred said...

Hi Liz -

We are all so proud of you and thankful that you've taken on this great cause. Enjoy your trip across America and be safe.

Love,

Cousin Fre, Jen, Issac and Kylie

Stacey said...

Hi Liz -
It's day four...how are you?? We're all living vicariously through you. Kristin, Ann & I are looking forward to hearing all about your great adventures. I can only imagine the feeling of empowerment you'll experience when you reach the finish line. You go girl!

eltiburon said...

Hi Liz,
I finally managed to get to your blog. Looks like you have quite a few folks following your journey. Stay upright and Have Fun!

- Sharkey