Thursday, July 10, 2008

Day 14 - July 6th - layover day in Billings




So nice to have a rest day. No riding to do at all. Regardless, woke up early as is my new habit.

Diana, Janet and I walked down 27th to City Brew so that I could get some coffee (and try out a competitor), and then proceeded further downtown to Perkins. After breakfast, I continued on my own into downtown to see if I could identify a spot for dinner, check with the Y, and see if there was a bookstore open.

The holiday weekend, in combination with the standard Sunday closings, made for a very quiet city.
Many places were shuttered. I walked down to Montana Avenue - which had an "old town" feeling, and then stepped into the Crowne Plaza hotel. Spoke with the employees at the adjoining Starbucks store, and asked some questions of people at the hotel's front desk. If you act as though you are a guest, they treat you like one! They gave me a map and directed me to some bookstores. All were closed. But the Y was open. I spoke with a very friendly woman at the front desk - Jonile. I explained that I was an out-of-towner, interested in lap swim opportunities. After she learned that I was part of a bike group "just passing through", she gave me 4 day passes - enough to share with other Riders who like to swim.
Returned to my room to grab my suit and goggles and headed back to the Y. Had a great time in a quiet, cool, lane. What a treat! Walked down the street to discover that a new/used bookstore was now open. Found a couple of books to tide me over. Stopped at a grocery store on the way back for some lunch and other provisions.

In the late afternoon, Barb, Janet, Diana and I headed back to Montana Street to find a place to eat.
The Rex Hotel was open and we enjoyed a good meal, with cloth napkins no less. And a glass of wine. How civilized.

Also managed to get some laundry done during these excursions. So touched on most of the key points of a layover day. The only downside of our Billings stay was the lack of computer access (hence, I am posting this several days late/r).


No comments: