Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Day 8 - June 30th - Thompson Falls to Missoula


Once again, the forecast was for a very hot day. And the slated mileage: 101 - a "century" - our first of eight on the full route.

Some of the Riders left Thompson Falls High School before 6am just to get a jump on the anticipated heat. But I knew that I needed some breakfast - which was being offered at Minnie's again, in town. After loading my gear, I outpaced the mosquitoes - also up early I guess - and rode into town. Brendon, Tony and I were the first ones to be seated and enjoyed copious calories (mine from 3 slices of French Toast). Other Riders slowly filed in. But Tony and I wanted to get started and so we left once our plates were clean.

The ride out of town was brisk as was the morning air. We made good time to Plains (23 mile mark) - checked in at the rest stop and also discovered eight Riders at the town's (only?) restaurant, enjoying a well-deserved breakfast. They had left early and basically ridden on vapors up to this point.

Around the bend, Tony and I enjoyed some sections with good tailwinds and the temperature was still ok. I practiced my skills at drafting a bit - though my definition of what will be passing us in the way of traffic could use some refinement. I would call out "car back" only to have a semi whiz by. And sometimes the scenery was a complete distraction to checking my mirror and I would miss the call altogether. Tony didn't comment. I'm hoping he was just pleased to see an old dog trying out new tricks.

I had developed a definite need for some real food by 10:30. At around that time we were passing through a small community (Arlee). I had just about given up hope of seeing anything that would pass for a restaurant when I spied a tattered sign. It was a bit weathered, to the point where you are skeptical about the posted promises. Was the place still standing? I could hardly make out what they had to offer. But look ahead - it's real, and it's open! The Windmill Village restaurant was indeed open and quite a find. We ordered up sandwiches and grabbed ice-cold bottles of tea from the fridge. There was seating outside - in the shade - on the deck where we could sit, eat, drink and contemplate the 5-mile climb ahead. Just to be sure, I scarfed down a homemade huckleberry muffin after lunch to make sure that I had sufficient fuel in the tank. Other Riders rolled in and we gladly recommended the place.

Prior to reaching the base of the climb, I sensed the old familiar need for a foot soak. As I rode on, I kept listening - when the traffic subsided - for moving water. Eureka! A rushing stream! Though its source was unknown (and I didn't intend to imbide), it provided great relief to hot soles. I was able to sit on the corrugated pipe and just dangle my feet in the rush of water. It was icy cold, and the movement almost simulated a gentle massage. The effects of this 3 minute cool-down lasted me up the climb (long but very gradual) and nearly all the way into Missoula. As long as I can find a moving water solution around the 60 mile mark, I think that I can make it across the country.

The dorm room on the U of M campus was a welcome sight. Once again, looking forward to a rest day. It's good to take a break.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

Liz,
Your blog is like poetry! Sounds like the sights, smells and sounds are incredible. Thanks for taking us on your journey!

Stacey

P.S. No flats no falls?