Thursday, July 17, 2008

Day 23 - July 15th - Pierre to Miller

The day started with somewhat of a leisurely camp breakfast. Only 73 miles today, so Riders took their time. I had a sense that the temperature was going to climb though, so I didn't linger too much and left a bit after 7. Had a hill or two on the way out of town, but then the grade evened out. Once outside of Pierre, the landscape was tabletop-flat, all the way to Miller. I passed fields and fields of corn, wheat, and sunflowers (though not in bloom). Ranches, and pasture land. For miles and miles.
Our first water stop was at the 21 mile mark, in Blunt. The crew had set up a table with cupcakes and M&M's in honor of Janet and Chad's birthdays. I enjoyed a bite, and then headed back out to the prairie. Rode through the towns of Harrold and Holabird, and stopped off in Highmore.
There, the sandwich truck was set up. Made my PB&J, but packed it. Walked over to a small white building - the Frosty Freeze - and was the first customer of the day. Ordered a hamburger and a small root beer. Also asked the young guy behind the take-out window if he would pack my camelbak with ice and then fill it with water. He was intrigued with the whole operation but did a great job. His fill-up lasted me the next 25 miles in the heat.
After enjoyed my meal, I hopped by on the bike and continued on toward Miller. It was indeed getting hotter - and my feet were starting to toast. I stopped a couple of times where I found some shade and squirted water from my water bottles into my shoes. Not as nice as a cold, gurgling stream - but it helped.

Today's route didn't have much in the way of "roadside attractions". Nor was Miller touted as a destination where we would want to see/do lots of things. That made it tempting to take it easy and just stroll along. However, when the temperature rises - you just want to BE THERE. Regardless if THERE is a town with a population of 150. You want to be off your bike, and in the shade - ideally with a cold drink. I was glad that today's destination was getting closer by the minute.

Once I reached Miller, I rode down 5th Avenue per the cue sheet. Ah, a school. With an open door. But a glance at the artwork on a hallway mural suggested that I was standing inside the Elementary school. I had a hunch that the high school might be on the same street but further away from the main drag. As I rode farther down the street, I was met by the driver of a pick-up who simply said, in a friendly tone, "Follow me". I did so, and we met up at the very end of 5th, in the parking lot of the high school. My guide? Jerry, the principal of the school. He in turn introduced me to Renee, the custodian. What a welcoming committee! They pointed out an ice machine, large computer lab, and even a washer/dryer that we could use. Riders could sleep outside - across the street on the athletic field, or inside the building. Just sitting inside the school for the afternoon was a treat: shade, and cool air.
Once all Riders were in, we strolled downtown to Taylor's Restaurant and Lounge for dinner. Many toasts to both Janet and Chad. And Janet walked on her hands for us.

On the prairie, you can see power poles stretch for miles and miles. They seem to never end. Seeing them disappear into the distance, reminds me of a childhood amusement. I used to stand in my parent's dressing room and open the mirrored doors so that they faced one another. I would then stand between them and gingerly look to my right or my left and see...infinite images of Elizabeth Anne. She seemed to stretch from here to ....well, who knows? And who could guess that 45 years later that I would be thinking of that as I ride a bike across the United States.

1 comment:

Bob said...

Pure poetry, Elizabeth Anne. Love reading your blog. Makes me itch to be out there too. And it's getting me stoked for riding Cycle Oregon in September. Will you ever be able to eat PB&J again? Keep the great posts coming. May your tires be flatless, the winds at your back and your feet always cool.
Bob
(David's Saturday breakfast buddy)