Friday, July 18, 2008

Day 25 - July 17th - De Smet to Tyler, MN.










Woke up a couple of times in the night to hear a bit of rain. But no big dramatic storm. Got up around 5 or so. These days, it's still somewhat dark at that hour. Riders are stumbling around camp with their headlamps on, trying to recall where the bathroom in THIS camping spot is located. Though it had rained during the night, the grass was dry and the air warm. However, as the sky lightened, you could see large clouds on the horizon. I packed up my tent and gear bag, put them on the truck, and went to have breakfast at the church adjacent to the park. Very simple fare: dry cereal, some muffins, juice, and church urn coffee. As I sat down to eat, Ash pointed up at one of the daylight windows. You could see tree branches waving in the wind, and imagine the accompanying downpour. Occasional flashes of lightening brightened the room. Our location, deep in a dank basement space, effectively muffled thunder claps. Late-rising Riders joined us, dripping from the heavy rain. Oh well. Only 76 miles today. We could hang out for another 20 minutes or so. Someone jokingly asked if there was a Bingo board available to use.

After waiting out the storm for a bit, I decided to give it a go. Put on my tyvek jacket, a rain cover on my handlebar bag, and pedaled out of town. Today, I needed to do my best to take some final photos of South Dakota to make up for loss at the library of other SD images.
The rain had eased up but it was still drizzling for awhile. First rainy morning that I could remember on the trip. Took my time, waiting for the skies to clear and photo opps to become available. After swinging by the check point in Brookings (mile 40), I took a short detour into the local business district to see if I could find a good breakfast cafe. The main street was all torn up, with construction machinery in full action. I skirted the mess to rejoin the district a few blocks down. Found a drug store, bead shop, scrapbook store. Everything but breakfast. Saw a couple of people coming out of a small bookstore, so I asked them where I could find a good meal. They first suggested the Cook's Kitchen, just down the block. But then recalled that it was in the throes of a remodel. So they mentioned the Cottonwood Bistro "just down 6th on your way out of town. You can't miss it." Worrisome words - "you can't miss it". Just watch me.
Took 6th out of town. Had to ask one other person - sitting in a parked car reading a book outside of a closed Dairy Queen - about said Bistro. With her directions, I found the spot. In the process, I was passed by a wave or Riders - going in the opposite direction - headed to Perkins for breakfast. Hmmm. Should I join them, or check out the Bistro? Took the local option. The Bistro was great! A tidy, contemporary, coffeehouse. Enjoyed a delicious almond croissant, 3-shot latte, and a couple of scrambled eggs. Before leaving, I asked the barista if he would put a few scoops of ice into my camelbak and fill it with water. He hadn't seen one of the devices before but was glad to help out. Now that I had a real breakfast under my belt, I could dive into the next stage of the route. By that point, the weather had improved. Gladly shed my jacket and got ready for some pleasant miles. Rode and took pictures of the countryside. Saw a sign "U-Pick Strawberries - Last day of picking Today". Don't know why, but I had never associated strawberries with South Dakota. I gingerly rode down the gravel driveway and met the property owner - a lovely woman who looked a bit like Susan Sarandon. She welcomed me to the farm and suggested that I ride out to the edge of the 2 acre field to try out some of the last fruits of the season. She mentioned how pleased she was with the rain that came last night - "our first measurable rain in 22 days". Mine too. People were picking in earnest, and there were a couple of young children playing with two 7-week old kittens. Took some pictures and sampled a few berries and then continued on my route.
Right at the South Dakota-Minnesota border, there was a wind farm. The setting was dramatically different than one that we had passed in eastern Washington, high on a dry ridge near Vantage. These turbines popped up amidst green fields of waist-high corn. A farm within a farm. Perhaps another source of income.
Crossed the border into Minnesota - land of 10,000 lakes. Saw Joe and Catie hanging out there and took a photo. Another 13 miles or so and I arrived in Tyler. Found the school grounds and the gear truck - but no one else was around to help unload. Rode back through town and located what else? The library. Checked my email and was welcomed by one of the staff who let me know that the drinking fountain just outside the door - in the lobby shared with City Hall - had wonderful cold water. Guess I looked thirsty.
Back to the school. Set up camp. Showered and went back to main street. I stopped by the grocery and bought some yogurt and an apple. Scarfed down the yogurt and then found a town bench where I sat and ate the Braeburn. A (local I presume) woman walked past and said to me "How nice to see someone sitting on that bench eating an apple instead of smoking a cigarette". Couldn't agree with her more. There are lots more apples in the store. People should give 'em a try!
Group dinner at the Pizza Ranch in town. Then time in camp spent reading the local paper, checking the AAA map of Minnesota, and cleaning off my bike. Listened to some music on my iPod, did some reading and went to sleep.

No comments: