Saturday, July 12, 2008

Day 19 - July 11th - Newcastle to Rapid City







Up promptly to get set for a pre-layover day ride of just 80 miles. The seniors at the Center prepared a substantial hot breakfast for us, complete with homemade cinnamon rolls. We then loaded the truck, received our cue sheets and dove into the route. Not surprisingly, we were halted mid-downtown by...a long, steady moving coal train.
The winds were in our favor and I was making good time for the initial 10 miles or so. I rode in the vicinity of Chuck and Tony. But at mile 11, Tony stopped and asked if I had seen the Welcome to South Dakota sign. I had not. We turned around, into a stiff headwind (no wonder we were making such good time) and rode back to take photos at The Sign. So, a few bonus miles for the day. T
The rest of the ride to Custer (mile 40 or so) went by quickly. There were some climbs into Black Hills National Park, and some great descents. I was glad for that there was so little traffic on the road and several of the narrow, winding stretches had little-or-no shoulder.
Once I had made a sandwich at the Check Point in Custer, I looked for a cafe for a 2nd breakfast. The first one - including that gooey roll - was long gone. Tony, Jim, Douglas, Joe and I found seats at the Bakery Cafe and refueled on pancakes and such. It was a very good idea, given the work ahead.
Just a few miles outside of town, we entered Custer State Park. A beautiful setting with nice winding roads. Traffic not too bad, given that it was the beginning of a summer weekend. Didn't see much wildlife - only some tame burros. Nick (our mechanic) had a chance to ride today. At one point he caught up with us to report that there were some very strong winds on Highway 79. We had a foreshadowing experienced, being buffeted by side and headwinds once we left the protection provided by the hills within the park. Those 9 miles didn't quite drive home the point as much as standing in the blasts when we reached Hwy 79. The wind was blowing at 30 mph with gusts up to 40. Many of us had never ridden in such conditions. It was formidable, and a true test of perseverance.
All of us made it to the School of Mines and Tech that afternoon, our wind-free home for the next 2 nights. I'm amazed that everyone made it in without incident.

David flew into town and we met up at the RC Holiday Inn just down the street from the campus. What a treat to have him here, to catch up on family and trip stories, and just be together. We ate dinner with other Riders at 6 and retired to our quiet room, enjoying some champagne from a sweet friend.

1 comment:

Javagal said...

Liz,
Just returned Sunday from Costa Rica and thought of you most everyday and wondered where you were. I've just spent my lunch hour eating my sandwich (thank god, no rice and beans) and reading your blog entries that I missed while I slaved away in the coffee fields of CR:) It sure sounds like this has been a really great trip. I can't wait to read more but must admit that I'm even more excited to see you here at the Support Center. I miss seeing you, I miss your funny comments!
Keep up the great work on the blog.